Image Map

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Key Hooks with Vase

BUY
I saw something similar to this on an Etsy site, but figured I could easily make my own. If you don't want to make your own, you can buy them here: ACOUNTRYWAY.

DIY
I wanted to tackle this myself, so I gave it a shot. I took a couple photos mid-project (with this blog in mind).

You'll need:
1 piece of wood, size is up to you.
Hooks--I used 2.
Paint- I used basic acrylic paint
Sandpaper
Hose clamp
Drill
Picture hooks
Screw
Mason jar (or other jar)


I started by sanding the wood a bit to make the edgest smoother. Then I applied a coat of acrylic paint. It only takes a few minutes to dry, which is good for impatient crafters such as myself. Once the paint dried, I took a piece of sandpaper to the paint to make it look worn. Particularly, I sanded a bit more on the edges and corners.


Notice how the paint looks thin in places? You don't have to do this, but I liked the look of it. If you prefer a darker look under the colored paint, paint your board a dark color (black) first before applying the blue (or whatever color you wish to use). When you sand the blue paint away, the darker color will show. This is a personal preference, though.


I neglected to take a lot of photos while attaching all of the harkware. Basically, I just screwed in the hooks, then found a hose clamp to fit around the cute mason jar I found. I took a screw and put it through the hose clamp (it was easy to fit it through the parts of the clamp that have slats in it), and then tightened the clamp around my jar. Then I screwed some hook on the back and it was finished. I'll add a photo of it hung up with some flowers when I get around to doing this! I plan to hang it in my kitchen (which is full of turquoise and mason jars) and use it to hang my keys and aprons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and take time to read every single one of them! Make sure you're not a no-reply so that I can respond to you. Thanks so much!