Image Map

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Herb Planter Revisited | {Tutorial}

My very first post was of my herb planter. Because I only had one follower and very few readers, I wanted to bring it back since it's getting to be that time of year again (not because it's easy to re-post something that already exists and I don't have the time to do anything new...geeze, give me more credit than that! ha).


Herb Planter

First, this was completed long before the blog was even thought of, so the step-by-step instructions are majorly lacking.

You'll Need:
1 Metal (or thick plastic, as long as it's sturdy) stake/rod or pipe of some sort, at least 4' long. The diameter should be small enough to fit in the drainage hole of a clay pot.
1 Large pot for planting
3 (or more, depending on how long your stake is) clay pots, 8" pots should do
Plants/Herbs
Potting Soil

Step 1: Begin by securing the stake/rod in the large planter. It may be as simple as placing it through a drainage hole in the center of the planter (which was the case for ours). Keep in mind, if you do secure the stake by placing it in the drainage hole, make sure there is adequate drainage left. If this was the only hole, you might need to drill a few extras. Anyway, a snug fit is best, but you're going to be filling the planter with potting soil, which will help hold it in place. You may want to put a few stones in the bottom to help hold it in place.

Step 2: Fill the larger planter with potting mix and make sure that the stake is in the middle of the planter and standing up straight.

Step 3: Slide the clay pots onto the stake by feeding the stake through the drainage hole on the bottom. They should stack up. Depending on how long your stake is, you should be able to fit 3 or more pots. Once the pots are stacked up, I rotated them so that they all faced in different directions.

Step 4: Fill small clay pots with potting soil and this will hold them in the position they are in.

Step 5: Plant your herbs (or flowers, or whatever else your heart desires)!



This is the size planter I used. This is a different one (no stake obviously) but still the same size. The square shape made it nice for planting around the stake.




Forgive my sad-looking parsley, he's about 3 years old... But this shows the stake coming up through the pot. A healthy plant would cover this up.



One more view, this shows a little more of the base planter. We have it stuck inside of a larger planter on our deck right now, making it hard to show the entire thing. However, it is pretty when left standing alone.

3 comments:

  1. This is a really cute idea. I still have a few weeks before I can safely get my plant-lings outside, and I keep changing my mind about how to do it!

    Do you move this planter? It seems like it would be heavy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it! So unique and would make a great addition to my backyard! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so fun! I love when herb gardens go vertical, it's so fresh and spring-y. I planted my first garden ths year but I think it's already outgrowing it's planter, so time to transfer a few plants:)

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and take time to read every single one of them! Make sure you're not a no-reply so that I can respond to you. Thanks so much!