Image Map

Monday, June 18, 2012

{Tutorial} | iPad Sleeve

It's been so long since I've written a tutorial! The house projects aren't coming along as much as I'd hoped, but I'm getting there. Eventually, I will have things to share, I promise!

For now, I'm going to share a quick tutorial for an iPad sleeve. Now I'm still new to sewing, so I'm sure I'm not doing this the best way, or maybe not even the correct way, but it worked and I think it looks pretty good for my second sewing project ever!

My dad is impossible to buy for. So for father's day, it's always tough. This year I managed to come up with the idea of making a sleeve for his iPad since he didn't already have one. Now be forewarned, the fabric chosen isn't my usually happy, bright taste. My dad is Mr. Macho Hunter Outdoorsman so the fabric had to suit him.

So here's what you'll need:

1. Half a yard of fleece fabric.
2. Half a yard of another plain fabric, I just used some scrap that I had on-hand.
3. Batting, nothing too expensive or anything, just there for some extra protection.
4. Thread.
5. Velcro
6. Sewing Machine.

Seeing as this was a present and I didn't have an iPad at my disposal to use as a guide, I called my mom and had her measure it for me. He already has this rubber case on it, so my dimensions will probably vary from yours. His iPad, with cover, was 10 3/8" by 8" and about 5/8" thick. I cut my fabric and batting into two rectangle pieces. One 15x11 and the other 13x11. The longer piece will include a flap to use to velcro the sleeve shut.

a730bf32 

Once you have your three layers for each side, line them up and pin them together. Then sew three sides together on each half. Leave the side where the iPad will go into the sleeve unsewn for now.

b2022e00

Instead of just stitching up the side like the rest, take the unsewn ends and fold over and sew. This leaves a prettier edge since you'll see that part when you open and close the sleeve. 

 02041fea

Now you're ready to attach your velcro. Trust me, do this NOW. I made the mistake of sewing my two halves together and then trying to add the velcro. Boy did I regret that! Haha.

Attach your velcro to the top outside of the sleeve. I don't have pictures of this step because I waited until I was finished, but here's what it should look like. Just pretend the rest of the sleeve isn't sewn together yet ;)

40daf593 

Once you've done this, you're ready to sew it all together. Place the two pieces face-to-face so that the inside fabric is on the outside. To do this, make sure you have the two pieces positioned how you'd want them to look on the outside. Sew your three sides together. Just to be sure, I found a book that was exactly 8" wide and used that as a guide as I was sewing to ensure the iPad would fit. But if you have an actual iPad to work with, you should be fine!

 37ef4773

Flip it inside out and viola! You have an iPad sleeve, a very manly iPad sleeve anyway...

93044207

Also, don't forget about the Summer Link Party! Head on over and link up your favorite summer-related post!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and take time to read every single one of them! Make sure you're not a no-reply so that I can respond to you. Thanks so much!