Image Map

Monday, December 5, 2011

25 Days of Handmade Christmas: Day 5

I can't believe it's day five already! I'm so happy to have had so many amazing people participate and share their wonderful creations! Today is Lindsay from Artsy Fartsy Mama. I'm a big fan of snowmen decorations for Christmas (I don't feel as guilty putting them up early or leaving them up after Christmas since it is still winter-y), so this is right up my alley! I'll hand it over to Lindsay for her Glitter Snowman tutorial!
Hello everyone!





I'm Lindsay, the blogger behind a little place called Artsy-Fartsy Mama.
I'm a graphic designer and a stay-at-home mom to a very independent daughter. On my blog, you can find tutorials for all kinds of crafty things, recipes and more. I love finding ways to be creative while saving money. I also have a "Pinteresting Features n' Shtuff" Sunday where I share just a few of the amazing, random, and inspirational things I find on Pinterest.

Anyway, enough about me... Let's get to the fun stuff!

Today I'm going to be sharing a tutorial for this adorable
Glitter Snowman!



You can also see a similar tutorial I did for Halloween when I made my Glitter Witchy Jars.



Here's what you'll need:
2 Glass Jars
Floor Finish
White/Iridescent Glitter
Top Hat (found mine in the doll section)
Fabric (hat band & scarf)
Glitter Stickers (eyes, mouth & buttons)
Orange Felt (nose)
Glue Gun
Amazing Goop or other glass adhesive



Wash the jars out & dry thoroughly. Try not to get any lint or dust inside of it, or the floor finish may not stick. Pour a small amount of finish in the jar and slowly swirl it around the jar. Don't shake it up or it may get bubbles. Keep swirling the finish around and tilt the jar to completely coat the inside of the jar. Then pour the excess finish back into the container.





Next, pour some glitter into the jar. A finer glitter will coat the jar better, but regular glitter works fine, too. Swirl & tilt the jar slowly like you did with the finish to cover the inside with glitter. You can pour out the excess glitter back into the container, but DO NOT tap the jar. If you do, the glitter will look a little sparse in some areas.



Set jars aside to dry for a little while.
While they are drying, you can put together the hat and get your glue gun warmed up.



For the hat band, I just cut a thin strip of glittery purple fabric and folded it into thirds so the raw edges weren't showing. Then I just hot glued it to the hat. I also cut a strip of fabric to use as the scarf.
Add some hot glue around the inside corner edge of the hat (where hat and brim meet) and place the hat on top of the jar.



Next I put a small amount of Amazing Goop (you can use any glass adhesive) around the top edge of the other jar and place the jar with the hat on top. Let it dry completely before putting the rest of the snowman together so it doesn't shift or come apart.



Once dry, it's time to decorate that snowman!
Tie a strip of fabric around the "neck" (it also hides where you glued the jars together). I cut out parts of a black glitter sticker alphabet to make the eyes, and used other stickers for the mouth and buttons. As for the nose, I just cut out a carrot shape out of some felt and hot glued it on.




And that's it! Super easy and looks so cute!


Another big thanks to Kelsey for inviting me to be a part of her 25 Days of Handmade Christmas!

I had a great time sharing my Christmas project with you today! I hope you enjoyed it and I can't wait to see what other amazing projects everyone else has planned.

I hope you all have a fantastic Holiday season and I'd love to have you stop by Artsy-Fartsy Mama and say hello!

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I am a new follower. Found you through Artsy Fartsy Mama. Hope you will check out my blog as well!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and take time to read every single one of them! Make sure you're not a no-reply so that I can respond to you. Thanks so much!